Progress, for People™
The future of healthcare will be based on a deeper understanding of biology and artificial intelligence (AI), and how to effectively fuse the two. At BERG, we understand that health is a dynamic balance, constantly adjusting due to a myriad of factors, which is why we take a non-traditional approach to healthcare.
By taking a systems biology, agnostic approach using our Interrogative Biology® platform – instead of hypothesizing the mechanism of a disease and focusing on only a few related compounds, we profile the entire disease by analyzing various patient biofluids (OMICS) and cell models (Biosystems) as well as clinical information (EMRs). This data is fed through our analytics platform, bAIcis®, to create cause-and-effect networks that identify discriminators and drivers of disease that can be pursued as drug targets or biomarker candidates.
This unrivaled and unbiased method of profiling not only exposes therapeutically targetable aberrations but also allows for the stratification of patients for predictive modeling.
Leading the Next Generation of Data-Driven Drug Discovery and Development Platforms
The Traditional Drug Development Process
hypotheses generating data
- Rigid process for understanding a disease pathway mechanism yet culminates with broad toxicity and efficacy estimates
- Relies on tools that churn existing data and don’t improve productivity
- Treats a specific problem with little implication for the broader biological system
- Capital intensive and binary business model
- Broad treatments with little precision
The New Discovery and Development Process
data generating hypotheses
- Platform identifies novel targets, phenotype and clinical correlates
- Capacity for identifying safer treatments
- Improved outcomes with declining costs
- Generates network effects of lower incremental therapy costs
- Requires a robust and diverse set of human sample, high-quality data, leading technology, and top talent
NEXT GENERATION MEDICINE™ THROUGH INTERROGATIVE BIOLOGY®, POWERED BY bAIcis®
BERG INTERROGATIVE BIOLOGY®
BERG’s Interrogative Biology is a disruptive platform for biopharma. It is based on hypothesis-free, data-driven philosophy applied to biomedical research. Interrogative Biology insight and findings are typically first-in-class molecular entities with a wide freedom to operate in a specific disease area. This platform utilizes human biological samples and employs a number of high-throughput molecular profiling technologies. It goes beyond genomics performing deep molecular phenotyping in proteomics, lipidomics, and metabolomics. Applications of Interrogative Biology in biopharma include, but are not limited to, target discovery, mechanism of action discovery, drug repositioning and biomarker discovery.
BERG Interrogative Biology in 6 Steps
(1) Mimic diseased & healthy environments
In vitro cell cultures
(2) Measure omics over time
Lipids, metabolites, proteins, genes
(3) Build the bigger picture
Combine omic data with patient clinical information
(4) Process trillions of data using AI: bAIcis®
bAIcis® compares all the data, enabling the difference between healthy and diseased cells to become apparent. Outputs appear like an airline map, consisting of big hubs for most of the activity
(5) Derive insights
The hubs in the maps represent the molecules that are abundant or deficient in diseased tissue relative to healthy tissue, indicating potential treatments or biomarkers
(6) Pressure test
Potential treatments can be created that modulate the target lipids/metabolites/proteins/genes to help restore a healthy environment
The BERG Interrogative Biology platform is a novel and unique approach to understanding underlying disease pathophysiology by the employment of high throughput “omics” to mine disease and normal tissue microenvironments, which are further validated by functional assays. Moreover, pre-clinical in vivo and clinical data serve as building blocks of in silico modeling using artificial intelligence to assess the pressure points of biological networks and enable an unbiased and data-driven approach to identification of therapeutic candidates and biomarkers.
The platform offers a new direction and impetus to drug discovery initiatives by primarily engaging the juxtaposition of the disease biology and normal cellular (homeostatic) biology, which is comprised of characteristic signatures including genes, proteins, lipids, metabolites and their network of expression. The disease modeling efforts involve extensive ex vivo experimental work with human material such as cell extracts, tissue samples, and cell lines. BERG invented cellular interrogation mechanisms by environmental, chemical and biochemical perturbants that induce disease-specific molecular signaling. Such signaling mechanisms can be deciphered by BERG artificial intelligence engine, bAIcis.
Interrogative Biology enables a novel automated approach to biopharma research. It creates a top-down, artificial intelligence-driven workflow for conducting molecular pathway and molecular mechanism studies. Analyzing a molecular model of a disease now takes several months instead of decades with conventional methods. The platform has also been designed to pinpoint key regulatory mechanism and potential intervention points in an automated fashion.
Over the years, BERG developed an extensive therapeutics and diagnostics pipeline of assets by applying Interrogative Biology in disease areas such as cancer, diabetes, neurology, and autoimmune disease. In parallel, BERG has validated this method through rigorous and manual experimental work in its vitro laboratory.
In early R&D, BERG’s advantage is in the rapid development of new drug and diagnostic programs where the assets are discovered de novo. Many of these programs are first-in-class molecular entities creating additional commercial leverage in intellectual property. In late stages, BERG utilizes the platform for effective patient stratification in its clinical programs. Interrogative Biology is designed for discovery of efficacy and safety biomarkers that help BERG succeed in clinical trials by selecting the right patient populations and expediting the approval process.
This technology can be generalized to other disease areas and serves as a jumpstart for innovative and first-in-class R&D projects in biopharma.
bAIcis® is the heart of BERG’s Interrogative Biology®
Proprietary Bayesian AI-Based Software Technology
bAIcis® uses validated methodology to:
- Identify therapeutic targets, biomarkers, and MOA
- Predict efficacy and safety in individuals
- Optimize combination therapy
- View the potential impact of demographics and co-morbidities on outcomes
- Provide feedback to discovery programs
- Reposition existing assets (e.g., compounds, targets, etc.)
- Data-driven new knowledge
- Data source agnostic
- Manages extremely large data sets
- Efficiently parallelized and cloud scalable
- White box algorithms leading to mechanistic insights
- Based on the Innovative Bayesian Artificial Intelligence Theory
Areas of engagement
- Custom risk models and population management in digital health
- de novo therapeutic target discovery from complex molecular data
- Discovery of new-in-class predictive and companion diagnostics, patient-centric management of complex human disorders
bAIcis is a state of the art Bayesian artificial intelligence learning software used for patient stratification, precision medicine, target identification, and lead optimization of novel drug candidates. It is the leading AI platform in the industry driving commercialization of big data. BERG has used bAIcis to discover novel therapeutic targets, biomarkers and complimentary diagnostics, and compounds mechanisms of action.
Novel insight revealed by bAIcis in life sciences:
- Novel therapeutic targets discovered directly from molecular data
- Predictive, prognostics, and complementary biomarkers
- Drug mechanism of action
In digital health:
- Population health management
- Custom risk models for adverse outcomes
- Clinical decision support
bAIcis is a highly parallelized software designed to derive knowledge from observational data. It is not limited to any particular data type and can operate with digital and molecular data.
bAIcis allows for seamless transition from data to biological or clinical insights. The workflow accepts numerous data sources from electronic medical records to multi-omics molecular data. BERG has integrated data processing and normalization algorithms for a variety of molecular and cell-based phenotypic data sources:
- Mass spectrometry proteomics data including activity-based proteomics and post-translational modification proteomics such as phosphoproteomics
- Mass spectrometry metabolomics data including small molecule metabolomics and lipidomics
- Genomics data including mRNA microarrays, SNP arrays, and next-generation sequencing data
- Physiological functional endpoints such as bioenergetics, electrochemical gradients, and biogenesis
Artificial intelligence can be used in the entire process of healthcare – from finding the right drug to the right cost-effective outcome, to improving the overall healthcare system as a whole.
BERG Analytics and Patient Intelligence
- BERG Analytics aims to provide real-time analytic solutions that predict the impact of treatment plans at the individual level to optimize population health strategies.
- Our Patient Intelligence™, brought about by our Interrogative Biology® program and bAIcis®, will drive this population-level efficiency.
For more information on BERG Analytics healthcare analytic solutions visit: analytics.berghealth.com